California State University, San Bernardino
Job No: 521265
Work type: Staff
Categories: Unit 4 - APC - Academic Professionals of California, Probationary, Full Time, Student Services Job Summary:
Position will be an advisor to CSUSB ASUA at the Pam Desert Campus. The position will advise all students at PDC as well as support other CSUSB, PDC and/or advising initiatives, including efforts to increase graduation rates, increase retention and eliminate equity gaps.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Advise Students (All class levels and all majors):
- Provide academic advising for students and provide tools and resources to enable students to effectively register and create degree plans using online registration system.
- Conduct group registration and information sessions to effectively achieve the university's enrollment and retention objectives.
- Advise students regarding academic policies, major, minor, and general education for degree completion.
- Interact with academic Deans, Department Chairs, and Program Directors regarding specific student situations.
Support CSUSB, PDC, and/or Advising initiatives:
- Advising workshops that may include degree audit, academic planner, how to register, summer school.
- Classroom visits when needed.
- Asist with drop-in advising (virtual and in-person).
- Work collaboratively with campus partners, including Admissions, Registrar, Financial Aid, and Career Center.
- Assist at Orientation with Advising, including presenting and registration.
- Other duties as assigned- work with all S3 ASUA department.
Minimum Qualifications: Required Education and Experience
- Possession of these knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field; experience should give evidence of competence and indicate the potential for further growth.
- A master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field.
- Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Working knowledge of the practices, procedures, and activities of the college programs to which assigned.
- Rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions, and programs of the campus to which assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and carry through actions having implications with regard to other program or service areas.
- Ability to interpret, apply, and explain program rules and regulations.
- Take initiative and exercise resourcefulness in advising practice.
- Ability to translate student development, leadership theory, and research into practice.
- Experience fostering and maintaining effective relationships and ability to work collaboratively across organizational lines and coordinate the efforts of multiple areas is essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, and in large groups.
- Public speaking and ability to reason logically analyze and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data.
- Remains current regarding trends and developments in higher education, student development theory, high-impact practices related to advising, transition and student success. Will remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, the development of professional contacts with colleagues, attendance at professional development courses/conferences, and trainings, as directed, by the Director.
- Works both independently and collaboratively to plan events, conduct presentations, host workshops, participate in orientation and more.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, CSU administrators, student organizations, private and public agencies and others in committee work, and student advising and community contacts.
Compensation and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Rate: $4,610.00
Classification Salary Range: $4,610.00 - $ 6,556.00
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Work status: Full-time/Probationary/Exempt
Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and evenings may be required.
The application deadline is Thursday, December 6, 2022.
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
CSUSB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who physically access campus facilities or programs to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes obtaining a COVID-19 booster dose, or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. We welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. We will create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
California State University, San Bernardino is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, hire, train, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, caste, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096) For more information about Diversity & Inclusion at CSUSB, please visit https://www.csusb.edu/human-resources/diversity-inclusion
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact the ADA Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
CSUSB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/.
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State San Bernardino Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://www.csusb.edu/clery-act
To view full description and to apply, visit: https://www.csusb.edu
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-ba5080354392134ab34bb2665febf395