This ad is expired.
Academic Advisor I - CHSS
Salary: $35,568.00 - $44,460.00 Annually
Job Type: FT Exempt Salaried Staff
Job Number: FY2402313
Closing: 2/16/2024 11:59 PM Mountain
Location: 800 W University Parkway, Orem
Division: Academic Affairs - Student Success
Utah Valley University is seeking an Academic Advisor I! Working under the direction of the CHSS Advising Director advises new, prospective, and transfer students in all aspects of academic programs and provides developmental and career advising. Assists students in developing an educational plan toward graduation and manages an advising caseload toward greater student retention.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Assists students in the development of meaningful educational plans compatible with their educational, career, and life goals. Upholds policies, procedures, and priorities of departments and the institution, particularly those related to student degree completion. Consults with assigned academic department(s) in regard to the development of graduation plans.
- Within the framework of the student success platform software, Banner, and DegreeWorks systems, audits student records for curriculum, major, and graduation requirements. Monitors risk trends over time, tracks student performance and progression toward graduation, and guides students to needed interventions. Tracks referral follow-through, student enrollment patterns, and student graduation progress. Advises students regarding major fit and identifies students in need of additional support or proactive intervention.
- Provides information, assistance and referrals to student support services to assist advisees in managing their college experience. Advises prospective and current students on academic requirements and course selection. Raises awareness of institutional resources and services for students. Engages in professional development activities to keep abreast of research, theories, legislation, policies, and developments that affect areas of responsibility. Achieves initial UVU advisor certification within one year of employment, and achieves continued UVU advisor certification status annually.
- Consults and problem-solves with faculty, administration and staff on curriculum and programmatic issues within the department as well as student academic problems, issues, and concerns. Serves as a member and representative of the department on University committees, departmental committees, and other professional associations/organizations as needed and/or assigned. Assists with undergraduate student programs or events, college conferences, recruitment of new students, and other college events.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree plus one year of experience related to Summary of Duties totaling five years
Discipline-specific educational background or experience. Advising experience within a higher education setting.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Knowledge of student development theory and its application to promote student retention and academic success in a college/university setting.
- Knowledge of student advising techniques pertaining to content, curriculum, curriculum development, course scheduling and graduation requirements specific to the academic major, department, discipline, or college.
- Knowledge of graduate schools, careers, or job markets and/or related research tools relative to the academic major, department, discipline, or college.
- Skills in assisting students to develop effective academic plans in pursuit of career and life goals.
- Skills in the use of media and technology, including but not limited to office software platforms and student data systems (i.e. BANNER) as applied to management of records, report preparation and related activities.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Effective analytical skills to collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate information.
- Ability to creatively and independently problem-solve by prioritizing and multitasking under pressure.
- Ability to serve individuals with diverse personalities through the use of effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work with a campus-wide community in a professional team environment.
- Ability to interpret UVU's core values (serious, inclusive, engaged, student success) as they apply to advising.
- Ability to assist students in developing effective academic plans and career and life goals in order to promote student retention and academic success.
- Ability to work with others to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Ability to utilize technology in the academic advising process.
- Ability to perform under pressure and think quickly.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Service-oriented, diplomatic, and able to present ideas in user-friendly language.
UVU employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant's qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
To apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/uvu/jobs/4386358/academic-advisor-i-chss
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency