This ad is expired.
Laboratory Technician, Culinary Arts
Job Type: Staff
Department: Culinary Arts
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, assist instructors in the planning, organization, preparation and presentation of classroom and laboratory materials; schedule, maintain and issue supplies and equipment utilized for instructional purposes; assist academic staff by handling administrative functions.
Bargaining Unit Position, Range 10
This position is 40 hours a week/12 months a year.
Schedule for this position is Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Primary location is Palm Desert Campus.
The schedule and location is subject to change based on District need.
About College of the Desert
College of the Desert is located in Palm Desert, California, the geographic center of the beautiful Coachella Valley. Nestled among the backdrop of the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto mountains in eastern Riverside County, the Coachella Valley is a resort community that offers over 100 golf courses and a wide array of outdoor activities such as tennis, hiking, horseback riding, hot air ballooning, polo, bicycling, rock climbing and swimming.
Founded in 1958, this two-year public college serves over 400,000 residents of eight local cities and the students of the Palm Springs, Desert Sands and Coachella Valley school districts. College of the Desert offers certificates and two-year Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees.
College of the Desert is a federally recognized Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), with almost 70% of the student body identifying as Hispanic. The Coachella Valley community recently passed a $577 million bond measure, allowing for College of the Desert to improve its current facilities and expand its campus locations. These improvements and expansion will assist with College of the Desert's goals of providing an education to students inside and outside of the Coachella Valley.
- Assist instructors in the planning, organization, preparation, and presentation of classroom and laboratory materials; set up supplies and equipment.
- Tutor students individually or small groups in a variety of instructional and tutorial situations; prepare or oversee students in preparation of laboratory setups.
- Oversee safety and security of instructional materials and equipment.
- Maintain laboratory environment in a safe, clean and orderly condition; mix, apply, and spray chemical applications and herbicides as required.
- Maintain storeroom and inventory records, equipment, supplies, other materials; maintain and perform
minor maintenance on landscape equipment and vehicles as assigned.
- Receive, issue, store, and care for laboratory, classroom, shop, tool room or other instructional material and maintain facilities in a clean and orderly condition.
- Administer and score tests as assigned; maintain student record and test files; develop reports as requested.
- Maintain hazardous materials storage and handling as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school, supplemented by successful completion of some college level coursework with a grade of C or better in a related subject area and four years experience in field of specialty with at least one year experience in a laboratory setting or work environment directly associated with the assignment.
Experience in Culinary Arts.
Knowledge of: Principles, practices, procedures and equipment of assigned subject area; laboratory equipment and materials safety regulations involving area of specialty; hazardous materials storage and handling; record-keeping techniques; correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary; district organization, operations, policies and objectives; technical aspects of field of specialty; oral and written communication skills; interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Ability of: Perform specialized and technical duties to assure efficient lab operations; provide information and assistance to students and staff; assure the care and security of assigned equipment, materials and supplies; maintain learning equipment in proper working order; issue and receive equipment and supplies; plan and organize work; understand and follow oral and written directions; work independently with little direction; communicate effectively both orally and in writing to exchange information; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; meet schedules and time lines; maintain records and prepare reports; operate laboratory equipment; research new methods, materials and equipment related to assigned subject area; reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; bend at the waist; stand for extended periods of time.
Working Conditions: WORKING CONDITIONS
Environment: Laboratory environment. Driving a vehicle to conduct work. Subject to exposure to chemicals and other harmful substances.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours: Monday - 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Tuesday - 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Wednesday - 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Thursday - 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Salary Schedule Range: Range 10
Specific Departmental Needs:
Posting Number: 19-636
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date:
Interview Date: 10/28/2019
Posting Open Date: 09/24/2019
Posting Close Date: 10/13/2019
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Special Instructions Summary:
Applications missing any of the required documents listed will not be considered. The following documents are required at the time of application:
- Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
- Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
- College Transcripts: Official or unofficial, diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of the required transcripts.
IN YOUR APPLICATION
- List of Professional References: References should include at least two supervisors and two colleagues. Please include name, title, email, and current phone numbers for all four references in your application. Letters of recommendation will not be accepted in lieu of the required addition of Professional References.
To apply, visit https://cod.peopleadmin.com/postings/3924
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency