St. George, UT
Full Time Faculty
College of Humanities & Social Sciences
The Sociology Program at Dixie State University (DSU) in St. George, Utah invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor faculty position with an emphasis in Applied Sociology to begin July 1, 2019. The preferred candidate will possess a terminal degree in an appropriately related field and have experience collaborating with local nonprofit organizations. The successful candidate will be expected to teach Social Statistics, Survey and Data Analysis, as well as a number of courses in the Applied Sociology curriculum including Introduction to Sociology and Social Problems. More information about the department and the Sociology program can be found online at https://socialscience.dixie.edu/sociology/.
- Teach 24 credits per academic year within the Sociology program, usually assigned as 12 credit hours per academic semester. Teaching responsibilities include lower-division sociology courses (Introduction to Sociology, Social Problems, Gender, Race and Ethnicity), upper-division sociology courses (Statistics, Survey and Data Analysis, Deviance), and other sociology courses related to the successful candidate's specialty.
- Develop and teach appropriate courses in applied sociology, consistent with the applicant's background
- Contribute to the program\\'s Institute for Social Research
- Be an integral part of the team that develops and oversees the Nonprofit Leadership Association Certified Nonprofit Professional program
- Adheres to department, college, and university policies and performs campus-wide faculty responsibilities, including:
- Holding office hours
- Advising program students
- Attending department, division, and university meetings and events
- Serving on department, division, and university committees as assigned
- Engaging in community, university, departmental, and discipline service activities
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chair and/or Dean
- Doctorate degree in Sociology (or closely related field) from an accredited college or university required
- A background in applied sociology, statistics, quantitative methodologies, with preference given to candidates who also have a background in nonprofit leadership
- A commitment to, and evidence of, excellence in undergraduate teaching
- The ability to utilize undergraduates in continuing scholarship, especially in ways that benefit the institution and surrounding community through the application of sociological principles
- An eagerness and ability to engage with colleagues, staff, and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience of DSU students, both within the Sociology program and within the local community<
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
CONTRACT: Full-time (9-month) tenure-track faculty position, starting Fall Semester 2019. Pay & benefits start July 1, 2019. Annual salary of $50,000+, depending on qualifications & experience; additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included - see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Example of DSU Benefits" for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
To apply, visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/dixie/jobs/2188097
Application review begins October 8, 2018; position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced, about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open-enrollment institution committed to student access, affordability and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of \\"active learning. active life\\" and we seek faculty committed to providing students with an active learning environment. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world class outdoor recreational opportunities. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 9,600 students and has been the fastest growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last two years. We offer over 180 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit faculty and staff who enthusiastically support the University\\'s strong commitment to the academic success of all our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientation and gender expressions.
DSU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The President and employees of Dixie State University are fully committed to Affirmative Action and to its policies of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity in all programs, activities, services, and employment with regard to race / ethnicity, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a person with a disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, and protected veteran\\'s status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency